Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Just in case you were worried...

I am still in the running for mom of the year. About 1 1/2 to 2 weeks ago, Markus started really fighting us at bedtime/naptime and diaper changes. I mean, really fighting. Very weird for this kid, but he's a toddler, right? So I chalked it all up to typical toddler behavior (which it still very well may be, however...). At the same time, he started waking in the middle of the night- anywhere from 3-6 times a night. We all know Markus has never been a champion sleeper, but this has been ridiculous even for him. But during the day, with the exception of the acting out, he has been happy, playful, jovial, loving-life Markus (you have seen the evidence in the recent pics). Yesterday, I saw him sticking his finger in his left ear multiple times. Of course, I started to wonder. After another rough night last night, I decided to take him to the doctor today. She said it's one of the worst double ear infections she has seen (mind you, they have said that about one of his before as well). So more than likely this kid has had a raging ear infection for over a week and I was chalking it all up to him just being a toddler. Now I am sure he will continue to remain toddler-like after we finish this round of super-antibiotics and Motrin, but I am really interested to see if it doesn't improve even the slightest bit. Poor little guy.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

honestly, kels, we can't possibly know EVERYTHING our child wants or needs every moment, can we?! you ARE in the running for mom of the year (homemade cinnamon rolls? c'mon!). as for markus, he just seems prone to those nasty ear infections... poor kid! so good to have you blogging again! love ya bunches! - tam

Megan said...

Don't you wish kids came with a printout mechanism that could just tell you what the heck is the matter? Sorry to hear that the little man was suffering. We went through the same thing with Nate and his chronic sinus infections. Nobody would believe me that he had them because life just went on as usual. Tough, resilient kids - there's a lot to be thankful for with these, but it about kills you when they've been hurting and you don't know. Believe me, I totally get it! Love you all, M