Sunday, January 20, 2008

Somewhere in the world...

it is a completely normal time to be awake. In Washington, however, it is 3 am. Not the most reasonable of times to be awake for no apparent reason (other than being 37 weeks pregnant) and eating a bowl of cereal. But here I am, and there's not much I can do about it.
Yesterday two wonderful friends from church thew a lovely shower for me and baby girl. I was overwhelmed (as I always have been when it comes to showers) with the generosity and excitement of the people who attended. I certainly came home with plenty of pink! There was a beautiful cake made by my awesome and talented friend Jodi, wonderful food (you've gotta love a shower with a chocolate fountain and all the fixings to dip!) and great fellowship. A woman whom I absolutely love and has become a precious part of our family, Beckie, prepared a devotion that was so encouraging to me. It was based on Psalm 118:14 "The Lord is my strength and my song; and He has become my salvation". I will treasure the words she shared with us in my heart for a long time, and pray this verse over both my children. It was such a blessing to be at that shower and look around and reflect on all the great relationships the Lord has blessed me with in our relatively short time at our church and in our community. I was especially delighted that some of my friends from my community who don't even attend our church were able to be a part of that wonderful group of ladies today, as well as my mom, sister-in-law, sister-in-law's mom and my neice. I would love to post some pictures, but my camera is in my purse. And my purse is in the backseat of my mom's car. And my mom's car is at her house. Guess where I'm going after church tomorrow?
I think Markus is starting to get that things are different- or are certainly going to be very soon. He has been quite the daddy's boy the last few days. Mark has been great about spending lots of time with him on his off days lately so that I can either get things done and/or rest. Yesterday they spent a few hours at Costco and Safeway together while I picked up the house and got ready for my shower. Not two minutes after they returned home it was time for me to leave for the church. Two weeks ago, me leaving after Markus had already been away from me for so long would have definitely put him in tears. When I said goodbye to him yesterday, however, he just raised his right arm over his head (the standard Markus wave) and said bye. No tears. Really no reaction at all. When I returned home from the shower he seemed happy to see me, but not super clingy like usual when I get home from being away from him. Our friend Jeremy was over with Abigail (6 months) and I gave her a bottle shortly after walking in the door and Markus didn't even flinch. I'm taking that as a good sign! My boy is growing up and not "needing" me as much (or so he thinks :) ).
I think that's all for now. I'm going to go back to bed and try to fall asleep. We'll see :).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great when the #1 kiddo starts doing what Markus is doing, especially when kiddo #2 is due any minute. Good job, Daddy! You're definitely helping the process. :) Love, Meg