Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sometimes you have to laugh...

we have had some tough days with Markus being a toddler this week. He has decided when he doesn't like something that has been said or asked of him, that the appropriate response on his part is usually to hit whomever is asking/telling him what he doesn't want to hear. Seriously, the kid will walk across a room with the intention of hitting. It's tiresome and hurts my heart. We have spent a lot of time disciplining this week. There's been lots of tears. Lots of hugs. Lots of praying (me, for wisdom. Markus, for his "natties"- naughties). Tonight we went for a stroll around the block before bedtime. Markus was so excited to be outside (his favorite place) and I was enjoying the fresh air and watching my son run along the grass in his frog boots. We talked about the birds and the doggies and the cars. Halle slept in my arms, wrapped in a number of blankets. When we returned home, Markus wanted to play on the porch. I told him that we needed to go inside because we had to get ready for night-night. I saw the angry face and the arm start to come up. I knew he was coming for me. But he surprised me. He stopped, and instead of coming to let me know he was angry by way of his little hands, he let the poor bush next to the porch have it. I had to really work at not laughing out loud. What was that little mind thinking? I wondered if he was really thinking about the fact that he was going to be disciplined if he hit mommy in his frustration or if he just decided to take his frustration out on the closest living thing to him- that being a bush (he calls it a tree). I thought maybe we had made a breakthrough in his learning that hitting mommy=consequence. I thought maybe we had a small victory. That lasted about 2 minutes until we got to the bathroom and he didn't like the idea of brushing his teeth. Oh well. Maybe I just need to get a bush for my bathroom. And my kitchen. And the living room. And the car. And...

3 comments:

Tamara said...

what a night. what a day. what a week. hang in there, girl! and as for those bushes you need to disperse throughout your house.... just think of all the fun markus would have not only hitting them, but getting the dirt everywhere? might be a fun adventure for a toddler! :) seriously, though, i did chuckle as i read your story. but it was a sympathy story... b/c i know i'll be there, relating to those toddler stories, soon enough!

Megan said...

Thanks for being real...and welcome to the trenches. They're temporary. :) Love you all.

Megan said...

Thanks for being real...and welcome to the trenches. They're temporary. :) Love you all.