Thursday, May 07, 2009

Just for me, and a haircut that wasn't

I just needed to get these stats down so I can throw the papers away :).
Markus, age 3: 33 1/2 lbs, 3'1"
Halle Joy, age 1: 22 lbs 6 oz, 29 3/4"

We attempted to get Markus his first haircut today. Did you catch the word "attempt"? We have been talking about this all week. He was super excited. Daddy would get his cut first, then it would be Markus' turn. And Miss Krista would even have a lollipop for him. We knew it could be difficult. Markus doesn't like new and out of his control... he did great watching Daddy, but as I began telling him that Daddy was almost done and it was almost his turn, we began the downhill slide. Markus kept saying "not yet Mommy, not yet". Well, it of course eventually was time. We got him up in the chair, Miss Krista got the apron on and that was the end. Kicking, screaming, crying, begging to go home. The promise of a lollipop and a special treat of his choice afterwards (I even offered Coldstone!) meant nothing. I was so torn. I didn't want to let him "win", but I also didn't want to push a new experience if he was genuinely afraid (which with Markus is a very distinct possibility). In the end, we gave up. According to Markus on his way home "I will be ready next time Mommy." We'll see.

No comments: